Increased Tax Liability for Rental Income

Landlords can deduct many expenses on their income tax return. These include property taxes, mortgage interest, maintenance, and repairs and cleaning. Homeowners insurance on a rental house also can be deducted on Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss). It will be added to your other expenses and become your deductible from your annual rental income.